Monday, September 24, 2012

The Workplace: UGAMA/CSC

Just a quick little post to show you where I work and the lovely people I work with! So in Gitarama, Joyce and I are working with a local Rwandan cooperative called UGAMA/CSC ("UGAMA" for short). UGAMA is about the same age as me (lol!) - and was established back in 1988. UGAMA now has over 2,000 member cooperatives through which they mainly provide consulting and training services. Click here to visit their website :-)

My internship position at UGAMA is to act as the Micro Enterprise Development Officer. The exact work I will be doing during my internship is not set in stone yet; but from what I have gathered so far, it seems as though most of our work will revolve around the new project that is being launched between CCA and UGAMA. This project is based on a 3-year pilot project that was carried out previously between CCA and UGAMA that aimed at addressing Food Security through increasing the production and sustainability of 4 of UGAMA's member cooperatives. The pilot project ended up being quite successful, hence the birth of the larger 5-year project that is set to launch next month (October - hopefully). The title of this new project is the "Rwanda: Co-operative Agricultural Growth" or RCAG project -  a 5 year project that will work with 15 of UGAMA's cooperative members (the 4 coops from the pilot project, plus an additional 11 new coops). An explanation of the new project is found below (pasted directly from the CIDA website):

Country: Rwanda
The Rwanda: Co-operative Agricultural Growth project aims to increase food security among vulnerable rural populations in seven districts of Rwanda (Nyanza, Gisagara, Nyamagabe, Ruhango, Muhanga, Kamonyi and Bugesera) and will directly benefit more than 22,000 households and indirectly benefit 132,000 individuals. Building on the success of a three-year pilot project that engaged Rwandan agricultural co-operatives, this project will improve the agricultural production, productivity and marketing capacity of 15 co-operatives and their members. This will be achieved by supporting small-scale rural farmers, organized in co-operatives to improve the quality and quantity of the food they produce, increase their household incomes, and enhance their households' and communities' resilience. (Up to $3,403,000 over 5 years)
Source: http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAT-1222104721-LJ6  

Joyce and I have spent the past couple of weeks reading about UGAMA and the RCAG project, learning about the objectives and approaches of each. We're hoping to get out to visit the 15 different cooperatives starting next week, which should be really neat and allow us to become familiar with the cooperatives we will be working with through the RCAG project on a more personal level. We're really excited to get out there and start working.

We have also been introduced to the two CCA staff members who will be representing the CCA side of the project: Brian (based in Ottawa) and Fresnel, who will be joining us at UGAMA in Rwanda next month (October), and will be based in Gitarama for 1 year.

While we look forward to meeting the CCA staff shortly, ther's no denying that the UGAMA staff is absolutely great and have been very good to us so far. We feel very welcomed here at UGAMA, and the cooperative really works together as part of a family. We eat lunch together everyday, which I find very enjoyable (even though they mostly speak in Kinyarwanda so we don't understand some of the convo's - but we still have hilarious conversations!).

As I mentioned in my first post, Emmanuel is our supervisor (aka "boss man") at UGAMA, and he has been really kind to us since we've arrived. I'm not going to go into much more detail about work right now since I'm not that "educated" on the project yet, but I thought I would give a mini-intro to UGAMA, the project, and the staff we will be working with during our stay in Rwanda just so that my  friends and family have an idea of what I'm doing, where I'm working, and who I'm working with!

Here are some pics of UGAMA and this wonderful team! :-)
 L to R: UGAMA Main Entrance; Me@desk; Tea Time; Joyce@Desk

Main UGAMA Building
Little Trees @ UGAMA

Emmanuel & I
    

L to R: Espérance & I; Espérance & Pélagie; Védaste at Lunch time

                       
                 Sample of our daily lunch @ UGAMA :-)                                          My Fav. Tree @ UGAMA (lol!)
           





No comments:

Post a Comment